Please forgive my obvious newbie-ness but you gotta start somewhere.  I
am trying to run Eiger Stein Dynamic on a floppy-only PI system with
identical Netgear FA311 PCI NIC's.  I have adapted the network.conf and
the modules file, I uncommented  8390 as per Charles S's suggestion, and
also uncommented ne2k-pci  My internal network (already going off another
router I built) is a 192.168.100.0/24 so I set all the eth1 stuff
accordingly.  eth1 seems to be able to ping.  I can not locate ifconfig
on this system, that's how I've always checked settings.  Is that a
redhat thing or what?  I seem to recall it was on one of the images I
tried from the original LRP project (which also didn't work)  Somebody
else on this list (Vince Schiller post#7288786) got a similar error to me
but he was using different NIC's and somebody suggested it might be a
dependency problem.  My error the same as his:  dhcp says no subnet has
been written (0.0.0.0) and that I should fix up dhcpd.conf but I looked
at it and it does have the correct subnet in it.  What EXACTLY am I
supposed to do to dhcpd.conf?

Any other info you need to answer this I will give.  I don't even know
what's important
and what's not.  You guys do, so ask me the questions.

It also says that eth0 will be the first PCI slot and eth1 will be the
second. That's top to bottom, skips irrelevent, yes?  Just covering that
base--this is the first time I've allowed myself the luxury of 2 PCI NICS
in the same box, all the old ones have had at least one ISA.

I use a netgear FA311 NIC in another router i built, the driver for it is
natsemi.o which is not in the modules directory in the EigerStein distro
I have.  Should I just put this module in as well? and if I do should I
recomment 8390?   For those dependency things I'm beginning to see via
inductive reasoning that the dependency is implied by the order in which
they are listed?

Thanks you guys on this list are great.  I want to see a linux router for
every home LAN by the end of 2002.

Colleen Dick

Laugh your way to the bank at
http://www.navehumor.com