Dear Kevin,

        Here's another way: Use a floppy and CD-ROM. My being a linux newbie I can
still give you one way to do this.

        Start with a Win95 boot floppy and call a generic IDE CD driver & CDROM.SYS.
This will allow the CD-ROM to mount. Then, as you start linux, this will flush
the DOS from memory, and off you go.

        You can get a Win95 & Win98 floppy image from
<http://www.bootdisk.com>.

        Note: The Win98 creates a small RAM disk and uncompresses some of the DOS
utilities. However, it also has all of the IDE & SCSI drivers ready to go.
With the Win95 boot floppy, you have to manually copy the IDE drivers and
invoke them in CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT...

        [I *think* the pure linux equivalents are MILO (Mini Loader) and LILO (Linux
Loader.]

        Hope this helps!
        Dan

PS: At least I know my way around NT! :)