> I have a Dachstein v.1.0.2 box with Tiny DNS, dnscache,mawk, ifconfig, and
> ipsec mods.
> When I start ipsec it tells me:
>
> ipsec_setup: kernal appears to lack KLIPS
>
> When I stop it I recieve:
>
> /usr/local/lib/ipsec/klipsdebug: Trouble opening PF_KEY family socket
> witherror: Unknown foile open error 97. Please report as much detail as
> possible to development team.
> /usr/local/lib/ipsec/eroute: Trouble opening PF_KEY family socket
> witherror: Unknown foile open error 97. Please report as much detail as
> possible to development team.
> /usr/local/lib/ipsec/spi: Trouble opening PF_KEY family socket witherror:
> Unknown foile open error 97. Please report as much detail as possible to
> development team.
>
> When I query the status I get:
>
> IPsec running
> but...
> orphaned Pluto running!
> KLIPS module is not loaded!
>
> I think I have all the required modules and an IPsecenabled kernal.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, it sounds like your kernel does not have KLIPS (the kernel level
IPSec support) enabled.  You should not see this error if you're using my
CD-ROM version, but the floppy disk version doesn't inlcude IPSec support by
default (to save space).  The smallest kernel that includes IPSec support
for FreeS/WAN is:
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/Dachstein-small/linux-2.2.19-3-LEA
F-small-IPSec.zImage.upx

It's about 65K larger than the kernel w/o IPSec support.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net