Steve Jeppesen wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am trying to use the send email alerts option, and have researched thru
> both the LRP and LEAF user mail lists.
>
> I have edited both POSIXness.conf and lrp.conf to reflect my mail settings.
>
> When I try the
> # mail -s test [EMAIL PROTECTED] < /var/log/syslog
> command, this is the error message I receive;
>
> firewall: -root-
> # mail -s test [EMAIL PROTECTED] < /var/log/syslog
> Error: Unknown response.
>   MAIL FROM:<root@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   2: 501 5.0.0 Invalid domain name
> Aborting due to connection error
>   Killing child processes: 28331 28334
> firewall: -root-
>
> Is there a way to configure something in order to not have it appear the
> mail is coming from
> root@[EMAIL PROTECTED]??
>
> Here is my POSIXness.conf file;
>
> #This is the master config file for the POSIXness scripts
>
> # Host SMTP server for the 'mail' command. If blank the host 'mail' is used.
> MAIL_SERVER="smtp.mn.mediaone.net"
>
> # From: domain to send to mail server.  If blank, `hostname -f` is used.
> MAIL_DOMAIN="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

This is your problem -- this variable is *not* a valid domain.

Unfortunately, MAIL_DOMAIN="mn.mediaone.net" may or may not work with
mediaone.net; but, that would be my first attempt.

Otherwise, you will need to use some other already valid mail domain
here . . .

[ snip ]

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .