> [1] Am I correct that _updown script is *modified* by somebody leaf/lrp
> to accommodate ipchains, as opposed to the default ipfwadm?
>
> Perhaps, that script should include some brief attribution of this
> non-standard modification?  Is there some reason to modify this, as
> opposed to using a custom script and [left|right]updown=, as recommended
> by FreeS/WAN?

_updown was modified by me (package/distribution maintainer) so it would
work as-is in the existing distribution, which seems like the "expected"
behavior.  The FreeS/WAN advice still applies: if you're going to change
_updown (as a user), you should probably re-name it.

Changes to various IPSec scripts are noted on the IPSec package page of my
website.

> [2] Am I correct that there is *no* need to set DCD network.conf
> settings:
>
> EXTERN_PORTS=
> EXTERN_PROTO[0..9]=
>
> since _updown does this by itself?

You can add these manually, or let _updown do it for you...you have to
decide which is better in your environment.  NOTE:  If you let _updown
create the firewall rules, your VPN links will all go down if you ever
manually re-load the firewall rules (ie: net ipfilter reload).

> [3] The only change required to network.conf is this?
>
> EXTERN_UDP_PORTS="network/mask_500"

Yes, if you're using [left|right]firewall=yes

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net