> okay,,,  I have found out these specs:
>
> Optus@home Australian mail server:
>
> "mail"
>
> outgoing port: 25
> incoming port: 110
>
> Optus@home Australian news server:
>
> "news"
>
> port: 119
>
> can anyone help me, i'm trying to access my e-mail from behind the
> router. (running dachstein)  Thank you in advance.......Stewart

If you are *only* receiving mail and news, you do not need to open any
ports.  In these cases, all you need to do is configure your mail and
news reader programs to know the fqdn for your mail and news servers.
As you know, the aliases `mail' and `news' are inadequate . . .

However, if you are trying to run a mail or news server from behind your
firewall, then the port issues are relevant.

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .