On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

<snip>
> > Second question:  How hard is it to configure lrp for this type of setup?
>
> Pretty complicated, although someone was saying one of the add-on firewall
> packages supports multiple external interfaces.  You'll probably have to
> become quite familiar with the kernel's advanced routing features, and
> ipchains/iptables rules, regardless.

Actually, I'm pretty certain that it is impossible. The problem is that
ip masquerading will only masquerade one interface. I think you need
multiple routers unless you keep distinct non-NAT'd IP spaces and use a
routing daemon.

> >  What distributions do you all recommend
>
> If I'm remembering correctly, and one of the add-on firewall scripts will
> support multiple external interfaces (in a way that matches what you want to
> do with load-balancing), use whatever disto that script recommends.  If
> you're going to be coding your own firewall/routing rules, it probably
> doesn't matter which disto you pick, although Oxygen and LRP 2.9.8 try to do
> less setup for you, so they may be easier to modify than Dachstein, which
> tries to do everything for you.

For this task I'd recommend a full distribution of BSD.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...