Julian Church wrote:

> Yeah, it's got one of those pages, but I don't access it using the address
> 192.168.254.254.  But I just now found that browsing to 192.168.254.254
> makes the firewall produce packets very similar to the ones I was confused
> by yesterday in my logs...
>
> Jan 16 08:17:44 firewall kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=6
> 192.168.254.254:80 217.149.96.2:62984 L=44 S=0x00 I=91 F=0x0000 T=60 (#42)
>
> The router then just goes on producing them, and on and on and on - it's
> still doing it, so mystery solved!  Many thanks for the pointers!
>
> Can anyone give me advice what to do with these things?  I tried adding
> tcp_192.168.254.254_80 to SILENT_DENY but it doesn't seem to have done the
> trick for some reason.  Also, I think it would be helpful to block requests
> from my LAN from reaching 192.168.254.254 port 80, so it's harder for
> anyone to accidentally set the router off doing this.
>
> Can anyone help?

Is that your model that is shown here?

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/pictures.asp
http://www.efficientnetworks.com/products/routbus.html

Go into the configuration manager and disable as many items as you can
without interfering with the upstream part to your ISP. You probably
have DHCP settings installed for a LAN which you don't need, ie. This
explains why you get traffic on your external LEAF interface from
192.168.254.254, because it's coming from the ADSL router itself. You
seem to have 2 routers trying to do similar tasks which causes odd
entries in your log. If you disable those unecessary items on the ADSL
router then the LEAF router should handle those tasks instead, with
firewalling, etc., and you let the ADSL router act as a pure router,
funneling the traffic to LEAF which should be the "traffic policeman". I
don't use ADSL, myself, so I have to avoid getting into deep water!..
;-)

Hope you resolve the issue!..

--
Patrick Benson