Hi Folks,

I am after advice because my first DachStein (floppy) installation is stuck.
I am not getting any response from my ISP except for the initial DHCP....

I had some problems getting the D-Link 528's to be recognised but that was because
I thought they were tulip based (like other later D-Links). They required
pci_scan, ne2k_pci, and 8390 to all be enabled/uncommented.

My Internet provider is NTL:Home which is a UK based cable company. I know that
that is working to some extent because I can get it working with a single windows98
box. I can configure it with DHCP and bobs your uncle.

I then got DachStein DENYing absolutely everything that tried to leave the
box. Happily a document on the sourceforge site gave me a clue. It said there
was a single line in the Eiger network.conf file which denied any access
when the external IP address was a "local" one such as 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X
etc. "Hooray" says I. I have been getting addresses in the 10. range from
my ISP. So I edit the file (1, 2 in lrfg) and find not one, but three lines
which mention DENY and 10. ip address ranges. I comment them all out.

So now I have a firewall which doesn't DENY packets going to the outside world
but it doesn't seem to do anything with them.

If I log in to the box and try pinging the outside world (eg
ping www.yahoo.com
or
ping 22.22.22.22
)
I get no response, 100% packet loss.

Any idea on what I should do now? I can't see any kind of traceroute function
on the standard DachStein installation. Is that what I should look for?

PS I don't know what my ISP's DNS server is. Does that matter or will DHCP
pick that up for me?

Alex McLintock

=====
Alex McLintock        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Open Source Consultancy in London
OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
---
SF and Computing Book News and Reviews: http://news.diversebooks.com/
Get Your XML T-Shirt <t-shirt/> at http://www.inversity.co.uk/