I'm trying to compile a 2.2.19 Kernel on a Slink box
(preparing for some LEAF learning again).

I downloaded the linux-2.2.19.tar.gz tarball and put it
into /usr/src, and added a symlink to linux.

I did a make mrproper, then make menuconfig, then make
dep.  On the make dep I get the following error:

-------------
make -C hfmodem fastdep
make[6]: Entering directory `usr/src/linux-
2.2.19/drivers/char/hfmodem'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
gentbl.c -o gentbl -lm /usr/lib/libm.so: file not
recognized:  File truncated
make[6]: *** [gentbl] Error 1
-------------

and then more errors follow.

libm.so is a link to libm-2.0.7.so, and that file does
exist.  File says it is a ELF 32-bit LSB shared object,
Intel 80386, version 1, stripped

The confusing part is that before my HD crashed, and I
had to rebuild the box from scratch (didn't do anything
diff as far as I remember) the kernel compiled fine.

I get the same result with the linux-2.2.20.tar.gz
tarball.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sean