I'm not an ipchains guru, and I don't have a DMZ, but this is what I have
that I built from the ipchains HOWTO. The key for me was allowing the source
port to be a range from 1024:4999

NOTE that my input, output, and forward chains (not shown here) like the
ipchains HOWTO send packets based only on interfaces. I have custom chains
for the different interfaces (internal, external), and this one is for the
fw-svc chain that's a "subchain" of the external, which gets JUMP'd to after
accepting any MASQ'd packets.

# allow firewall-initiated connections to mail servers
ipchains -A fw-svc -p tcp ! -y --sport 25 --dport 1024:4999 -j ACCEPT
# allow BOOTP and DHCP requests/acks/etc from ISP
ipchains -A fw-svc -p udp --sport 67:68 --dport 67:68 -j ACCEPT
# allow DNS lookups from the firewall
ipchains -A fw-svc -p udp --sport 53 --dport 1024:4999 -j ACCEPT