At 09:36 AM 1/17/02 +0100, Pär Johansson wrote:
>Hello
>My 8 year old boy is getting verry interested in the internet, but i
>have some considerations (porn etc.) connecting his computer to the
>net.
>Is it possible to add some web filtering to dachstein, can squid or
>some other package do this?

Well ... the two main proxy packages for Linux are Squid and junkbuster.
Either can do filtering; there is a project called Squidguard that is geared
to using Squid sort of the way you want it. But offhand, I don't know of
anyone these days using a Linux package to make Web surfing "kid safe". (The
place to look for this sort of work is the Linux-in-education lists; I give
one URL below.)

That said, the LEAF list isn't the best place to find that expertise. I'd
suggest looking at the Squid and Junkbuster sites to track down this sort of
info.

Links:
        http://www.squidguard.org/
        http://www.squid-cache.org/
        http://www.junkbuster.com/
        http://www.seul.org/edu

The other possibility is to find an Internet service that does this sort of
proxying. I'm way too out of date here to help with specifics, but there are
or were several such services here in the USA, from companies that marketed
their services to schools and libraries for a monthly fee. I don't know if
you have similar services in Sweden (is that the right country for se?) or
if you can use the US-based services internationally ... or, for that
matter, if you want this service enough to pay for it.

If you *can* find a package or service that does the needed filtering, you
will need to modify the router's firewalling rulesets to force your son's
browser to connect via the proxy server you select. This isn't a trivial
thing to implement, depending on how interested your son is in bypassing any
restrictions you choose to impose. If you find a suitable proxy ... well, I
don't know if anyone here has actually done what you propose (I've run proxy
servers myself, for example, but for different reasons and never in settings
where I needed to *force* users to rely on them), but I'm sure many of us
have the needed expertise to help you figure out the firewalling part.

You'll also need a binary of the proxy you select that will run on
DachStein. The DachStein CD Contents list (at
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/cstein/files/diskimages/dachstein-CD/CD-Co
ntents/) doesn't now list any proxies that I could see, but this is a
detail, not a major problem. Or you could run the proxy on another Linux
server on your LAN. Or you could use a regular, "full-size" Linux
distribution on your router.

Whether the approach you ask about is a good thing or not is the subject of
much debate here in the USA. Some feel that the services that do manage to
block access to porn sites also block access to too much "etc". But that's
your call to make, not mine.