On Fri, 18 January 2002, "Kenneth Hadley" wrote:

> > If they had to buy a flash or DOC, then they might as well buy a Linksys.
> With the LEAF floppy systems, I have found that half the folks get more
> interested in networking and Linux, which I regard as a plus.
> >
> > -sp
> > $0.02
>
> I totally understand and agree with most of what you have said, but when I
> look at new CDROM drives going for the same price tag of a new 1.44MB Floppy
> Drive it seams a more than a little funny that a old floppy drive is a more
> important media target for a project than something that is a lot more
> reliable and allows the project to do so much more.
>
> Of course this is just my .02 cents worth.......and about a $1.98 short of
> something that makes sense ;-)
>

> -Kenneth Hadley

I restate and throw in a nickel.  :)

I am not that far removed from when $15.00 in non-food/living expenses was an event to
be planned for.  Then the options were to be selected, let's see...save for monitor,
sound card cpu upgrade, car repair.... :)  Please no tangents about affordability,
job, poor, etc :0, thru study, hard work and LUCK I improved my lot in life, but I
know others who have not hit that 'luck' mark yet. ;)

I like the idea of a more powerful and flexible system avaible on CD, with config
files on a floppy, BUT, I think that maintaining a simpler floppy base distribution is
a good goal (even 1.68MB).  It enforces build disipline (ie, no wasted crap on base
installs) and it provides a usable/afordable solution for the majority of people
setting this stuff up.  Those on this list with DMZ's and ipsec tunnels, and etc and
not the probable majority of users.  (Could be wrong, this is an opinion).  They just
want to set up something that firewalls systems.

People have been marching the floppy drive's death for years now, and it still ends up
a practical tool.  (hell, corporate installs of OS's)  When something as cheap and as
good/better becomes avaiable, then the floppy will die.  Burnable CD-Rom's are getting
there, but not as ubiquitous yet.

-sp