On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:19:35 CST David Goodrich wrote:

> i'm attempting to run a null-modem cable from my router to my main pc to
> manage my router w/o a monitor & keyboard permanently attached... so as
> instructed in the serial-howto, i typed
>     echo "hello world" > /dev/ttyS0
> to test the serial link...it returned
>     cannot create /dev/ttyS0: error 19
> i haven't found anything about this error on the web, and was wondering if
> anyone here has had similar experience... thanks

In my experience, that error occurs when trying to use the serial
port when
  a) the kernel doesn't have serial support compiled in, or
  b) the kernel has serial support via kernel modules and
     serial.o hasn't been loaded.

The Dachstein-small kernel in the floppy version of Dachstein
requires the serial.o kernel module to be loaded for serial
support.  It's at
  http://lrp1.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/Dachstein-small/modules/misc/

I'm not certain about other LEAF kernels offhand.

--Brad