> From: Jeff Newmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:39:41 -0800 (PST)
>
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, WS Wong wrote:
>
> > I am a newbie to Linux firewall.  I downloaded the Dachstein image and
> > installed in a P100 PC with 64MB RAM and two Linksys Ethernet cards.
> > Every thing works fine connecting to a DSL modem on one end and my
> > home PC on the other end of the firewall box.
> >
> > I have two spare 3Com 3C509B-TPO Ethernet ISA cards.  I want to add
> > the 3Com cards to the Linux firewall and have the one Linksys card and
> > two 3Com cards working as a Hub.  This way I can have a local three
> > computers network that can talk to each other and share one ISP IP
> > address for Internet access.
> >
> > Is it feasible to add the hub function into a floppy disk firewall
> > box?  Did anyone try this configuration before?  What do I have to
> > change and add to the network configuration module to add the Hub
> > functions?
>
> Theoretically possible, if you enable bridging, but not really worth the
> trouble it will take.
>
> Hubs and switches are too economical in their per-port cost these days to
> consider using a computer instead.  Really.

You can use your Firewall as a Hub or as a *Router*.

This is perhaps not so much work.

You must specify the ethernet cards in the config (much as the
existing *internal* interfaces), they must each have there own network
(192.168.0.*, 192.168.1.*, 192.168.2.* etc) and there is a little bit
of magic that must be done somewhere (and I can't remeber where -
anyone else?) to allow the networks to talk to each other (as the
default is seperate networks).

Greetings

Mark