At 10:35 28/01/02 -0500, Netcom wrote:
>Julian I believe you have passed along some good information here.  I
>would like to ask you for a favor.
>
>At 01:45 PM 1/28/02 +0000, Julian Church wrote (snipped):
>
>>$IPCH -I input 1 -j ACCEPT -p tcp -s 192.168.100.1 80 ! -y -d 0/0 -i
>>$EXTERN_IF
>
>Would you explain with a little more detail what thus rule is doing?  I
>get some of it, and don't get some.THANKS, eitherway.

Although I've been fiddling about with LEAF for about a year now, I still
feel like a bit of newbie about this, so if anyone wants to correct
anything, they should just jump in.  This is what worked for me.

In general terms this ipchains command, modifies your firewall rules to
allow packets of a certain type through.

First bit is about where the new rule should go.
-I input 1      insert at position one in the input chain (that's a capital
I, not an l or anything)

Then what to do with the packets.
-j ACCEPT       jump to the accept chain (basically just let the data through)

The next part is where we specify what packets the new rule should act
on.  Remember this should describe packets we want to let through, not the
ones we want to stop.

-p tcp          protocol is TCP
-s 192.168.100.1 80     with source IP 192.168.100.1 and source port 80
-d 0/0          with any destination address (not sure if I need this really)
! -y            without the SYN flag (see below)
-i eth0         packets arriving at eth0 (I'm assuming eth0 is the external
interface)

I'm not 100% sure about the SYN flag thing.  As I understand it, the SYN
flag indicates that a packet is sent to initiate a connection.  If you're
viewing the modem's web page, then your browser will be the one initiating
the connection, so packets returning from the modem's webpage shouldn't
have SYN set.  I get the impression that SYN packets can be used by hackers
to cause more damage, so it seemed sensible to specify a rule that would
still exclude them.

Hope that helps

Julian Church

www.ljchurch.co.uk