We have a customer that generates hundreds of images everyday, each of
which is a single image, rather than moving pictures.  They have several
different systems that each use their own proprietary methods.

We are proposing an image server and disk array on which all images are
centrally stored and from which they can be retrieved for further
processing.  This system, itself, requires no special graphics
presentation capabilities, since its clients handle various presentation
functions, too.  High speed processing, transfers and format exchange
are high priority.

I am pushing for this to be a Linux server.

I am looking for recommendations for the following types of software to:

[1] Convert an image between various formats (e.g., jpg -> png, &c.)
    This software must:
    [a] Convert between many graphics formats with minimum resolution
        loss;
    [b] Convert images between various sizes and resolutions;
    [c] Be automatable, preferably via CLI.

[2] Animate a set of images.  This software must:
    [a] Deal effectively with high resolution images;
    [b] Allow automatic replay (i.e., tape loop);
    [c] Output to file formats readily available on wintel and mac
        platforms;
    [d] Be automatable, preferably via CLI.

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .