I finally got my friends pppoe system working with dyndns.org free dns
service.
He gave me ssh access so I could play with his configuration from my
house.

He used Jacques Nilo's version of ez-ipupdate called ez-ipupd.lrp
It is smaller and newer - and worked.  He couldn't get ez-ipupdate.lrp
to work for some reason.
The lrp can be downloaded from here
 http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/packages/
Jacques does not have this package listed in his menu and there is no
help file for it, but it works.
get the package to load by putting it in the list of programs to load
at boot or load it in with lrpkg -i ez-ipud    (mount the floppy and
cd /mnt to get this to work)

******
configuring ez-ipupd
******
# ae  /etc/ez-ipupd.conf
you can edit this from the lrcfg menu

service-type=dyndns              if that is what you use
user=username:password      what you setup on dyndns.org
host=hostname.address.net     whatever host name you were assigned on
dyndns
interface=ppp0                      the interface that has the
external IP in ppp0 NOT eth0

******
changes we made to get automatic updates when isp changes your ip
******

In /etc/ppp/ip-up
towards the end of the script we added svi network ipfilter reload to
fix his port forwards
and svi ez-ipupd start to tell your dns provider that your ip changed
---------
# Main Script starts here

run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d
svi network ipfilter reload
svi ez-ipupd start
# last line

ez-ipupd does not continue to run as attested by doing a "ps".  There
is no pid so it apparently runs, contacts the dns service and then
shuts down.  That is why we used the start feature of ez-ipupd

******
backup
******
ppp,  ez-ipupd . . . I don't think you have to backup pppoe but you
can do that for good measure.

*****
test
*****
to test - unplug your dsl modem but leave your router alone
plug it back in.  The provider will likely issue you a new ip when
your connection goes down and then reconnects.  Have a friend ping or
access your machine by name.

It works.

--
Victor McAllister