I had a strange problem installing Dachstein today. The hardware was a Dell
Dimension XPS. The machine would boot from a Windows CD, but for some reason
it would not boot from the Dachstein CD I had created, and tested, on
another Dell.
I created a boot floppy, but that wouldn't recognise the CD either.
In the end I used a Dachstein floppy distribution, but I can't figure out
what was wrong.

The CD booted OK on another Dell workstation and on my laptop - this would
seem to rule out a duff CD
A Windows CD booted OK on the offending Dell workstation - this would seem
to rule out duff hardware.

Regards

Gareth