Thank you Matt & David for you replies.

Let me see if I can provide some more information for you.

I do not have any firewall enabled, nor is ipchains installed - the router
is wide open. eth0 is the outside interface - I am sure. From the router I
can ping anything anywhere, by IP and by FQDN.

I have enabled both interfaces to respond to ICMP, and like I said in my
first post I can ping both of the interfaces (eth0 & eth1) from the router
itself, I can ping the external interface (eth0) from the DSL router in
front of it, and I can ping the internal interface (eth1) from the
workstation behind it.

When I say that ping "fails" when I attempt to ping the internal interface
of the DSL router from the workstation behind the LEAF router I mean that
there is 100% packet loss - in other words ping just sits there until I
issue an interrupt at which point is shows the following message:

workstation:/root # ping 192.168.68.1
PING 192.168.68.1 (192.168.68.1): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.68.1 ping statistics ---

Here is the output of the commands you requested:

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ip_masq_autofw          2432   0 (unused)
ip_masq_portfw          2416   0 (unused)
smc-ultra               4168   2
8390                    6340   0 [smc-ultra]

#which ipmasqadm
/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm

Please let me know if there is more info I can include in the
troubleshooting report and thanks for all your attention so far.

Greg R

~