netsnmpd.lrp (4.2.1-1-CS) from DCD v1.0.2 appears to be broken.

[1] Changes to /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf do *not* affect snmpd.
Specifically, modifying syscontact and syslocation are *not* accessible
via snmpget nor snmpwalk, &c.

[2] Such (example) changes can be effected if snmpd is started with
args: -c /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

[3] If arg -c is used, then snmpwalk will not end gracefully; rather:

        # snmpwalk -v 1 localhost public system
        system.sysDescr.0 = Linux trout 2.2.19-3-LEAF-RAID #4 Sat Dec 1
17:27:59 CST 2001 i486
        . . .
        system.sysORTable.sysOREntry.sysORUpTime.9 = Timeticks: (5) 0:00:00.05
        Timeout: No Response from localhost

[4] In fact, no matter how the default startup is used, any community
string has access to snmpd -- public, private or *none*!

[5] Several attributes allowed here:

        <http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/man/snmpd.conf.html>

    like this:

        sysname STRING

    *fail* on startup (using -c):

        # /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 101: Warning: Unknown token: sysname.

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .