Jason asked:

> What do some of you think of the Seawall firewall scripts?
> I find they work well, and I like the file layout. Anyone
> not think they are good firewall scripts? Would it be better
> to use the built in Dachstein rules?

I really love Dachstein, and it's predecessor Eigerstein. Charles is
a genius! But I always use Seawall with Dachstein because it is
easier to use and understand, and integrates well with Dachstein.

I have a simple three NIC setup with a DMZ. I could not figure out
how to set this up with Charles's extended scripts (and later with
Dachstein, which includes the scripts). But with Seawall this is a
piece of cake. Seawall is very organized and easy to use. There is a
systematic way to specify what ports should be accessible to where
and from where. Also, Seawall by default makes a very secure stealth
firewall. Having said this, I should add that Dachstein by itself has
a very decent firewall. I just understand Seawall better.

The only downside I can see of using Seawall with Dachstein is it
isn't always obvious which settings in the Dachstein setup can be
ignored because Seawall overwrites them. I have always intended to go
through and mark what those are (since I have only medium knowledge
level this would be a good learning exercise). The Seawall ipchains
setup appears to be loaded after the Dachstein ipchains setup, so all
the port filtering rules Dachstein does are replaced. So I assume
everything in the Dachstein setup that results in ipchains setup can
safely be ignored.

Finally, Tom Eastep gives super support for Seawall. Of course
Charles Steinkuehler is equally heroic in helping perople out with
Dachstein.

Remember that Seawall is for ipchains so it is only for 2.2 kernel
versions of leaf. For 2.4 kernel versions you can use Tom's
Shorewall. I think the Bering developers were very smart to integrate
Shorewall from the getgo. I am intending to migrate my
Dachstein+Seawall setup to Bering.

Tim Wegner