First a side comment -- somewhere on the LEAF site, there is still a
Troubleshooting Request HowTo, which lists the information we need included
with these troubleshooting requests. Mike, do you think we should write up a
shorter form of it and make it a FAQ, in the hope that people will actually
read (and follow) it as a FAQ Q&A?

That said, this is what I think we need to see as part of a basic report:

ALWAYS include:
        output of "ip addr show"
        output of "netstat -nr"
        the EXACT message associated with any "ping" failure

SOMETIMES include:
        output of "lsmod" [if you may have NIC setup problems]
        output of "ipchains -nvL" [if you may have a firewall ruleset problem]

That said ... in the absence of detailed information, I can offer a *guess*
about your problem. The bpalogin Home Page at

        http://bpalogin.sourceforge.net/

opens with the following message:

--begin quote--
Welcome to the BPALogin home page

Queensland Users

Recently, Telstra stopped resolving the domain name for the authentication
server (dce-server) in Queensland. It turns out that the Telstra client uses
a different server name (sm-server) and was not affected by this change.

Users of the UNIX client can get around this difficulty by editing their
/etc/bpalogin.conf file to contain the line:

              authserver sm-server
---end quote--

Since I see in your log report this line --

>Feb 11 03:31:10 lilian bpalogin[884]: Auth host = dce-server:5050

-- I'm guessing that you did not see this information on the bpalogin page.

If making the change they suggest does not work for you,please provide a
trouble report that includes the basic disgnostics I listed above, and a
more systematic set of ping tests, along this line --

        can the LEAF router ping its own external interface?
        can the LEAF router ping its gateway address?
        can the LEAF router ping its DNS addres(es)?
        can the LEAF router ping any of several well-known Internet
                sites (try several because some big ones block ping

For any failures, please provied EXACT error output.

At 04:55 AM 2/11/02 +1100, Stuart Moorfoot wrote:
>hi, i've just recently installed dachstien 1.0.5 kernel 2.2x. i've had no
>problem getting the
>distribution to recognize the nics and i've managed to get my isp (cable) to
>send me
>back an ip, so dhcp is working ok. the internal interface can route traffic
>(icmp only
>at this point) to a staticly assigned ip on the internal network.
>
>what i can't do is ping anywhere out through the external interface and on
>into the net.
>interestingly, if i ping (say) sun.com, the name get's resolved, but the
>ping just hangs
>after the first icmp line with the resolved ip. from the statictly assigned
>box i can ping
>the router - both the ip of the internal interface and the ip assigned to
>eth0 by my isp.
>
>my isp requires that i login before their network'll let me do anything, and
>the program
>bpalogin seems to be the app for the job, however, in starting the app i get
>the messages
>that the network is unreachable:
[details deleted]