> I would like to make a series of statements here and appreciate
> anyone's comments as to their truth or idiocy.
>
>    The IDE interface is not a true disk controller, like SCSI, it is more
>     like a memory mapping, with the the controller residing in the disk
drive.

IDE interfaces look like a handful of I/O ports to the system.  While the
first IDE/ATA devices were simple clones of dumb AT HDD Controller cards,
modern ATA systems speak a high-level protocol, allowing for things like
tape drives, CD-ROM burners, and is a lot more like SCSI than it used to
be...

>     Either:   PCMCIA is a true independent bus with its own controller
chip set.
>     Or.          PCMCIA is a 68 pin adaptation which must piggy back on
PCI et.

Or both...and then some.  PCMCIA is actually a broad spectrum...ranging from
simple memory interfaces (like a flash or DRAM add-on card) to what's
basically a "hot-plug" ISA bus, to a full-blown PCI bus.

>     SanDisk, et all, produce a flash memory device in the PCMCIA form
factor.
>     This device has IDE emulation logic built in (this is true).

Yes, there are flash memory devices in the PCMCIA form-factor.  Some of
these look like IDE drives, while some of them look like memory arrays.

>      SanDisk, et al, produce an adapter, converting the 68 pin flash
memory
>      to a 50 pin IDE cable (also true).

I don't know exactly which product you're talking about, but there are some
PCMCIA flash memory cards that can be attached to an IDE bus with a
mechanical adaptor.

>      A new form factor has emerged called Compact Flash (digital cameras,
>      50 pin ) which can also be treated as an IDE drive ( also true).
>      This is NOT a  PCMCIA device (???)

Actually, compact Flash cards *CAN* be attached as a PCMCIA device, using a
mechanical adapter.  They can also be attached as an IDE device with a
mechanical adapter, as well.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net