Doug Sampson wrote:

> > I maintain that this is the cleanest solution:
> >
> >       <http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=686657>
> >

> I've copied your proposed solution here for reference.
>
> # cat /etc/ipchains.input
>  $IPCH -I input -j DENY -p all -s 0/0 -d 255.255.255.255 -i $EXTERN_IF
>
> Exactly what does the ipchain statement say?  Exactly what does it deny?
> Obviously I'm not at all familiar with ipchaining...  and I want to understand
> it fully before I implement it...

$IPCH                   -- /etc/ipfilter.conf: IPCH="/sbin/ipchains --no-warnings"
-d 255.255.255.255      -- destination address
-i $EXTERN_IF           -- interface via which a packet is received
-I input                -- Insert one or more rules in the selected chain as the given
rule number
-j DENY                 -- what to do if the packet matches this rule
-p all                  -- protocol  of the rule or of the packet to check
-s 0/0                  -- Source specification

I struggled with this for sometime last December, after being dragged
into attbi.com.  Since it is possible that that source ip can change and
that I have never found any reason to _log_ packets broadcast to the
entire universe (e.g., -d 255.255.255.255); therefore, I conclude that
such packets deserve anonymity in that great bit bucket somewhere near
/dev/null . . .

HTH

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .