On 2/19/02 at 12:16 PM, Binh Do <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I installed Todd Horsman's xntpd.lrp and runs it with his
> config file. Seems it is running OK but I cannot connect
> to it from internal client or even from the router itself.
> I used 'rdate' utility. The message is 'Connection
> refused'. I did 'ps' and 'ntpq' and all seemed fine.
>
> I opened ports 123 (ntp) and 37 (time) on the firewall and
> uncommented out the time service in /etc/inetd.conf but
> got no success.

First, rdate does NOT use NTP.  As far as I know, there isn't a time
server (port 37) in LEAF.  If there was, it would be inetd that would
do it, and you'd have to make sure it was enabled in /etc/inetd.conf

When you run ntpq, you are using NTP.  When you run rdate, you're
using time. I don't think rdate is even a part of xntpd.  Perhaps you
want to use ntpdate instead?

> # rdate -p 127.0.0.1
> rdate: 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

Another thing to check - don't use 127.0.0.1, but the actual IP of the
host.
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator