On 2/21/02 at 5:11 PM, Scott Sandeman-Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience routing/filtering/firewalling any of
> these protocoals?
>
> Any suggestions where a guy might find some documentation? Notes?
>
> I did a search on Leaf and didn't find much.

You might want to look at netatalk, which is the AppleTalk server for
Linux.  If nothing else, it will give you pointers to AppleTalk
related information.

Also, to have the capability to encapsulate AppleTalk in IP (or vice
versa) you need to enable those modules in the Linux kernel.  This
will allow your Linux kernel to encapsulate and decapsulate - so your
Macs could just keep on spitting out AppleTalk.  Of course, if the Mac
is already spitting out IP, then you should be okay - you just need to
know what the ports are.

Be aware that AppleTalk is "chatty" - there are a lot of broadcasts
and "looking for" anything interesting... so if you are using a dialup
or some form of connection that charges by the kilobyte, you might
want to be wary.

If you want to do firewalling on AppleTalk, as far as I know Linux
won't do it - because Linux firewalls IP and UDP.  You could, I
suppose, firewall and filter based on packet contents if you knew
enough, but...

I don't know if Linux could be an AppleTalk router...

Best thing to do is, as you probably are already aware, to encapsulate
AppleTalk in IP.  You would need an AppleTalk-over-IP
encapsulator/decapsulator at each end, and kernel support for
AppleTalk and for AppleTalk-over-IP.

Does this help?