Well my friend tried udhcp - and for some unknown reason was not getting a
broadcast address.  Possibly I configured the package incorrectly (I just
used the defaults, and seeing as Roger's has moved to a MAC based assignment
this should, as far as I can tell, work...  but something is happening
incorrectly on their end for sure...

His IP which shouldn't change very rapidly (unless somthing has changed
since I worked there) went from 24.42.252.xxx to 24.114.99.xx and then to
24.42.128.xx - which is strange as previously IP blocks were fairly locale
specific and static (depending on area growth)

Also the fact that the lease is only 7200 seconds (2 hours for the lazy) is
very odd as it would at the very least cause tonnes of additional traffic
(imagine 200,000 subscribers flooding your network with DHCP renewal packets
every hour...).  And the fact that the renewal lease given is (around) 4
hours past the time of the renewal (i.e. I got a 2hr lease at 1pm, my box
tries to renew at 2pm - normal for dhcp AFAIK - at 2pm I get a new lease
that is valid from 6pm - 8pm).  I would suspect that this would cause
problems - like a total loss of connectivity - which is what is happening to
my friend.

[begin weird anti/pro M$ rant]
I know for a fact that M$ boxes don't care at all about the time - just the
lease duration (running an eiger box with the wrong time & time zone taught
me this - people were receiving leases that wouldn't have been valid for
days - but by sniffing I wasn't seeing any increased traffic).  For sure
this is a problem with the M$ implementation of DHCP (just the security
issues it raises are pretty big), but at this time it is an issue my friend
would gladly accept....
[end]

Lynn, I will try to determine what was causing the lack of broadcast address
at work tomorrow.  One of the particularly nice features of the udhcp
program (assuming I can get it to work) is the "release lease" option.  This
is necessary with my ISP if you want to change nic's without altering the
MAC of the external NIC - or if you actually want some sort of realistic
support from your ISP without pulling the NIC from your router and putting
it in a M$ box... I guess they like blue screens and waiting for reboots....

Somewhat frustrated, but glad its not me,

Simon