-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Adrian
Stovall
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 5:56 PM
To: 'Brad Fritz'; Adrian Stovall
Cc: LEAF (E-mail)
Subject: SUMMARY?: [Leaf-user] newbie question (Bering/2.4/IDE)

Whew! today was an adventure...I decided that I wanted to try to compile all
the modules that I need/use into my own 2.4 kernel (ide, eepro, pci, etc).

I grabbed the latest kernel source, put it on my old, rusty Pentium Pro
200/redhat 6.2 box, and followed the instructions in the readme (spent a
while updating gcc and other packages that were a bit out-of-date in my
distro).

I used the bering.config as my starting point, and started changing m's,
y's, and n's as appropriate and copied it as .config in the dir I untarred
the kernel stuff in.  I ran make oldconfig and make dep, made a bzImage,
copied it to the HD of my router as "linux", etc...several hours and a few
passes of syslinux later, I managed to get 2.4 to boot from the HD without
having to include modules.lrp.  Next up is some more slimming...

I am a very happy man.  If I can get the perl package to load successfully,
I'll be a very happy man (and I'll work on getting a configuration utility
I've been writing in perl to go).

I want to thank everyone who responded...I may not follow everyones advice,
but seeing the suggestions that people had made it easier for me to decide
what road to travel.  If I come up with any useful utilities, I'll be sure
to let everybody in on it.