Also remember that the port something runs on is a matter of convention,
not requirement. If you really want to block things, do a default deny
outbound and then open up services and locations that are approved. At
my work there is no outbound access for any endusers; everything has to
go through a squid farm in the DMZ.

Jack

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Simon Bolduc wrote:

> well you may want to block Ident (113) - though it should already be
> blocked.  I know some servers require an Ident daemon to be running (like
> dalnet).  But blocking 6000 - 8000 is a good start.  You could also create a
> list of hosts that you want to autodeny traffic from (just based on IRC
> server IPs).  Just so you know there are Java clients available - so even if
> you do this you won't necessarily stop the chatting - just the downloading.

> >From: "GREGOR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: [Leaf-user] blocking users from accessing IRC server
> >Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 08:01:03 GMT
> >
> >may be this is an OT question, but I'm trying to block my users from
> >accessing IRC servers.
> >Are there any more ports that I should block other than 6000 to 8000?
> >
> >thank you.
> >
> >regards,
> >Gregor
> >

> >WATCHOUT! 3RD INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONTMENTAL
> >ARCHITECTURE + DIGITAL ARCHITECTURE, 9-10 MARCH 2002, YOGYAKARTA
> >http://senvar.virtue.nu or http://senvar.uajy.web.id
> >NATIONAL DESIGN COMPETITION
> >http://senvar.uajy.web.id/lombadesain

Jack Coates