See below.

At 08:30 AM 3/12/02 -0800, Chad Carr wrote:
>I am attempting to create a Bering image with the following qualities:
>
>1) boots from 4 MB compact flash connected to ide controller on
>Soekris net4501 (www.soekris.com)
>2) supports the National Semiconductor ethernet devices on the
>Soekris net4501
>3) has console on serial port
>4) has ipsec support
>
>My question is this:  in order to accomplish 3 and 4, I had to
>compile a new kernel.  I did this by acquiring the bering-beta4
>config file, applying the freeswan patches to a 2.4.17 source tree,
>and making the kernel and modules on a Debian Woody box.  Is this
>allowed?  Do I have to compile my kernel and modules on a Slink
>box as well as the binaries?

Yes, this is "allowed", assuming "this" means 'making the kernel and modules
on a Debian Woody box". You typically need Slink for apps so they will link
dynamically (at runtime) against glibc-2.0.x instead of the current
glibc-2.1.x (there are other solutions for this, but using Slink is an easy
one). The kernel has to run before libraries are available, though, so it
can't use dynamic linking, and it statically links (at compile time)
whatever library code it needs.

>The kernel boots fine with serial support and all, ipsec and natsemi
>modules seems to work fine, but eventually, I get a kernel panic.
>When I try to ping machines connected to either interface, I get
>nothing but transmit timeouts and it seems to accelerate the process.
>the output of ifconfig for that interface shows:
>
>       TX packets:3 errors:9 dropped:0 overruns:3 carrier:3
>       Collisions:0
>
>I have also posted to the soekris-tech list, but I do have a sneaking
>suspicion that I have taken a short cut that has gotten me into hot water.

That may well be, but you've told us so little about the details that I do
not even know where to begin asking questions. I trust you've posted a more
complete report about the actual failures to the soekris-tech list, where
you might get the sort of specific, technical feedback you probably need to
move forward.

Whatever your problem, it is not just based on your not using Slink. (It
might be from using Woody, though. At least for a while, bugfixes weren't
getting into Woody promptly, and you may not be upgrading your Woody box
often enough to get the ones that are made. I use Sid here, not Woody,
apt-update/upgrade "early and often", and my last upgrade included a new
gcc. Just a thought.)