Others have already answered *most* of what this question might mean. Let me
try to pull it all together, and add the one missing bit.

If the modem in question is a "real" modem (one with its own UART), then the
standard ppp stuff should operate it. It's no different from an external
modem connected to a serial port.

If the modem is a "fake" modem (the common name is "winmodem"; one that uses
software to emulate some true modem functionality), then it won't work under
any version of Linux. LEAF is nothing special here.

If the modem is one of the few "software" modems that do have Linux support
(from memory, I'm only sure that a Lucent modem fits this category), then
someone will have to adapt the special package needed to run it to LEAF/Bering.

To give you any real help, we need to hear from you about which of the above
three categories your moden fits into. Figure it out by consulting the
information at URL

        http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html