I had to do something similar recently, and I'm still amazed at how uncommon
it seems to be -- there are not many examples around.

I can't speak to Bering-specific configurations, as I have only used
Shorewall on Red Hat and SuSE "minimal" installations, but I assume it is
Shorewall that will take the lead in your scenario.

The secret for Shorewall is the proxyarp file, since Proxy-arp must be used
to do what you are looking to do.  Getting the proxyarp file configured can
be a bit time-consuming, as it must explicitly list each IP address for
which it will proxy, plus a few other configuration parameters.  To assist
with this task, I created a short Perl script, that you can find here:
http://www.optimumnetworks.com/PAconfig .

A few other tips:

1.  Assign an RFC1918 address to your internal interface, like 192.168.0.1
2.  Create a host route to your default gateway, specifying the external NIC
by device name, i.e.:
   route add -host DefGWIP dev ethX.  Create the "init" file per Shorewall
docs, and put your route command there.
3.  Create host routes for any host NOT behind your firewall, but in the
same network space as the external interface -- via the external interface.
Since you are using legal addresses, your configs need to expressly indicate
"these hosts are on THAT side of eth1, those hosts are on THAT side of
eth0."
4.  Control arp caches --- the single most blindingly frustrating
hair-pulling make-you-think-you've-gone-insane part of Proxy-arp.  If you
can flush a device with a command, do it; if not power cycle any arp-caching
devices (bridges/swithes/routers) within your control --- or be prepared to
wait an undefined amount of time before all entries expire in the arp caches
you can't control.  ISP's upstream router on bridged DSL comes to mind...
This is the part that really complicates troubleshooting, since you ALWAYS
want your system up NOW, when you've rolled the dice by taking an entire
subnet down.  If you have a smaller piece of the network you can isolate as
a test "zone," it will give you more breathing room to get comfortable with
your configs, and the behavior of Proxy-arp.  Resist the temptation to go
back and make guesses in your configs --- since you are more likely to move
from the right answer to the wrong one, due to a stuck arp entry
"somewhere."

5.  See http://www.optimumnetworks.com/proxyarp.txt for an example of a real
Shorewall proxyarp config file.  Notice I generated the entire /25 subnet,
then commented out special-purpose addresses near the bottom.

6.  All other Shorewall configs are standard.

Good luck!

Dan
Optimum Networks, Inc.
www.optimumnetworks.com