> For Charles S. > Could you please tell me (if you know) the cpu's cache
> size and the amount of memory in the Athlon machine.

Um...which athlon machine?  All my LEAF systems are currently running on
pretty dated Pentium-1 class systems.

> For everyone > Would a dual cpu system (AMD or Intel) increase the
> usability of a firewall/router box?

Probably, although you'll need to migrate to a system based on the 2.4
kernel to see much improvement in networking performance.  Most of the
networking code in 2.2 kernels isn't multi-processor aware/capable.

> How about when running Intruder detection or IPsec? Is it feasible to
> use a lrp box as a border gateway router, either internal or external?

It's quite feasible to use LRP/LEAF boxes as a border gateway
router...that's how most LEAF boxes are used.  For use as an internal
router, you'll have to decide if the performance is high enough for your
needs.  You'll need fast hardware to route multiple 100MBit ethernet
segments at full speed, and I'm not sure you could get wire-speed Giga-bit
ethernet even with fast hardware...at the least, you'll want fast/wide PCI,
and preferrably multiple fast/wide PCI or PCI-X busses, if you're really
trying to route at Giga-bit speeds.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net