> I was thinking of trying a USB memory stick for leaf (bering and oxygen).
> Just curious if anyone else has tried this? and if so what pitfalls did
you
> encounter.
> I already know that only current(?) motherboards support booting via USB,
> I'll still be using an old P166, so I assume I'll need a bootdisk to boot
> the USB.  Am I close?

Yes...if you can see the device from linux, you can use it as a package
store as long as you:

* Boot from a media recognized by your motherboard bios and boot-loader

* Put the kernel modules required to talk to the device in your initial
ramdisk (root.lrp)

* Load the modules in the init script (/linuxrc) *BEFORE* you try to read
packages from it

I believe both Bering and Oxygen have some form of support for loading
kernel modules prior to loading LRP packages.  If they don't, manually
hacking in this support isn't too hard.

See my earlier (today) e-mail about building a bering bootable CD-ROM, my
Hard-Disk HOWTO (specifically the SCSI section, which goes over what you
need to do to load packages from devices not natively supported by the
kernel), as well as any Bering or Oxygen specific documentation you can
find...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net