I've just succeeded in setting up my first Linux-based VPN using
DachsteinCD. I greatly appreciate the high quality of the Dachstein package
and the (passive) help I got from browsing archives of this list.

At this point, I have two security-related questions:

1. How can I apply a password to the "root" login that takes you to lrcfg at
bootup? Without password protection, anyone with access to the console could
get into the configuration data.

2. If I use telnet to access my remote firewalls only through the VPN, do I
create a security problem? Should I use ssh for this instead of vanilla
telnet?

Thanks for your help, both future and past.

Dale Mirenda