Steve,

I'm posing questions here, not answering.  At some point in the future I
plan to set up a wireless AP here, and I'd like to not only use it to
access my local intranet, but also to allow users next door at the coffee
shop to access the internet, (one of whom might be me).

Have you considered methods to allow some wireless client to pass through
the firewall to the local net?  SSH would seem to be the most likely
prospect.

I plan to put the AP in the DMZ.  It should run dhcp-server for the
wireless connections and then NAT/gateway them to the firewall.  It would
also be nice to serve first request for port 80 to a `splash' page before
passing the request to the Internet.

As I said, these are more questions, not answers.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com.