I'm fairly new to networking and so I maybe doing something obviously wrong.

but here goes.

I am trying to network 4 PC's through a LEAF box. here is my set up

!-----------!    !---------!       !-------!---------[pc 1]
!xDSL modem !----!LEAF box !-------!Switch !---------[pc 2]
!-----------!    !---------!       !-------!---------[pc 3]
                                       L-------------[pc 4]

I am using Dachstein v1.0.2 1680 for the LEAF box

and a mix of Win 98, XP, and NT for the machines.
I am mainly intrested in the W98 machine, as that is the one that needs to
work first.

Here is my question.

How do I know if the LEAF box is able to access the web? And if it can, then
why is my w98 machine not able to get access.

Here are some of the settings i've made and some of the trouble shooting
i've done.

first of all, using the instructions from the service provider to set up my
W98 machine, I got a connection and have been using, so the modem and the
service is fine.

1. I have a static IP from my provider.

so I followed the instructions for setting up the LEAF box to work with a
static IP. However, I did not get a clear answer from them on the the
network mask length. They said it is 32 and this is what i set it to

ie.  eth0_MASKLEN=32

but I am not confident in this and will call back to talk to the network
admin directly on monday. btw, is there a default value for this?

2. My provider gave me a username and domain name to set up my W98 machine.
However, I did not find where to enter this info into the LEAF machine. Is
it necessary for a static IP?

3. I believe that the conection between the LEAF box and the client machines
is porbably ok, since after pluging the cable from the LEAF box to my XP
machine and telling it to "fix conection" it retrieved an IP and established
a conection, but still could not access the internet.

as far as the hardware, all the cables are ok and all NIC's light up when
pluged in.

so i think it comes down to the setup of the LEAF box.

in these areas.

mask lenght setting.
or
Host and Domain information.

Once again I am a newbee in dealing with network setup.

Thanks for any help.