Rick -- I read theough all 3 messages you posted, and from what you write
there, scp *should* work. Whatever the problem, I'd doubtful that it related
to Bering, since to it, there is no visible difference between an ssh and an
scp connection going through it. So ...

I noticed that the one thing missing from your reports is a description of
what the actual failures looked like. What errors does scp report at the
originating end? Ar ethe errors different on the Sun-Sid system and on the
Win2K-CygWin system? Are there any relevant entries in the Bering-dmz
system's logs?

Also ... what sort of authentication are ssh and scp using on the dmz
system? I'm used to using it (and scp) with userid/password authentication.
If your Bering-dmz system uses, say, RSA authentication, there may be scp
issues I'm not thinking of. (What issues? Beats me; if I knew, it wouldn't
be something I'm not thinking of.)

Third, just to be clear ... the successful ssh connections to the Bering-dmz
Debian-Sid system from the Sun-Sid system and the unsuccessful scp
connections between them do use the same userid, right? Same question for
connections from the CygWin system. And the scp connections don't involve
directories/files where there might be permissions problems with reading or
writing (whichever way you are testing)?