I have been using Eiger 3.1 over DSL pppoe for some time now with no
problems. But, I have run into one concerning the execution of
/etc/ppp/ip-up.

I have some software that requires the leaf box to port forward certain
port numbers. That's no problem. I first did it in a script file and had
no problems. This is some amateur radio software which is basically
Speak Freely.

Ok, it works until I lose ppp link for what ever reason and then I have
to manually run my script to get the ports forwarded again.

So, I go to /etc/ppp and modify ip-up and ip-down. ip-down to delete the
rules when the ppp link is lost, and ip-up to re-enter the rules when
the ppp link comes back up.

First test, simply unplug the phone line from DSL modem simulating ppp
disconnect at providers end. Monitor for ppp link to go down, i.e. ppp
loses local address. When the link disappears check port forwarding
rules and sure enough, the rules are deleted. So ip-down part is
working. Plug phone line back in and monitor for re-eatablishment of ppp
link. After ppp is reconnected, check port forwarding rules. Sure enough
the rules are there using the new local address. Test software and it is
runnning correctly.

Back up ppp to boot disk.

Now for the problem. I reboot the leaf box, and after rebooting and
connecting ppp, my rules are not there. Nothing in the forwarding rules.
Look at ip-up and ip-down to make sure files WERE backed up to disk.
They were.

I unplug the line to run the first test again and the rules get entered
like before, no problems.

So, it would seem that /etc/ppp/ip-up is either not being run or
something is different at system boot.

Any ideas?

--
Jeff