From: Charles Steinkuehler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 5:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Leaf-user] Modifications of network.conf to support changing
MAC address

> You are ab-so-lutely right as for the order of execution of the scripts
> and the dhcp-handling... hmmmm... so, I guess my code still needs a
> little work for dynamic addresses. Blast! This proves once again that
> even when you *think* you've got a good "universal" solution, you have
> to doublecheck and verify *all* the possibilities and situations!
>
> But I don't give up. I'll check out if there is no other - elegant ;-) -
> way of doing this. I'll keep you posted.
>
> I'm cc-ing this one to Charles also... just in case he thought of
> including my couple of lines in his new release.

Hmm...it seems to me that network.conf is the wrong place to try to play
with MAC addresses.  There's no simple way around the fact that network.conf
doesn't handle dynamically configured interfaces (ie external IF configured
via dhcp).

What about adding a bit of code to /etc/init.d/modutils?  It would be quite
easy to write another "bang" command (like ! mac) that would hard-code the
MAC addy of a particular interface.  This would happen when the driver for
that interface is loaded, pretty much guaranteeing any modifications are in
place before any other code tries to use the interface.

I still don't like modifying MAC addresses as a long-term solution, but I
recognize it's a handy function to have in some circumstances...

Anyone see a problem with the proposed new /etc/modules bang command (other
than the obvious fact that many network drivers don't support changing the
MAC address, which there's pretty much no getting around)?

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net