-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Charles
Steinkuehler
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 5:09 PM
To: Brock Nanson; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RE:[Leaf-user] NT networking over LEAF IPSEC VPN

> I may have been one of those who replied on the FreeS/WAN list.  Your
> posting has actually prompted me to revisit the whole issue.  In brief,
> I think I said that the transfer speeds were fine so long as WINS and
> browsing was left out of the equation.  At least that seems to be the
> case.  However, as you know, this precludes using network neighbourhood.
>
> Do you need free run of network neighbourhood, or could you get by with
> several mapped drives?  These could be done automagically with a logon
> script.

I see *GIGANTIC* differences in access speed when browsing to network
resources vs using mapped drives.  Mapping a drive makes the performance
*MUCH* better.  I have yet to do any qualitative tests, but "user
experience" indicates a 10x to 100x type of improvement.

This could easily be the result of a sub-optimal network configuration on my
part (I'm not a particularly good Windows admin, and don't particularly want
to be...I know just enough to keep my system running).

Please keep the list informed of your progress with this...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net