I am putting perl on my compact flash router, and realize at this point
that the problem with putting huge numbers of packages on a LEAF boot disk
is not the space on the boot device (obviously on compact flash I have
more than enough) but the RAM needed to hold the tmpfs or ramdisk.  How
much memory does a router need to do its job?  I realize that this is a
totally open-ended question with as many answers as routers, but I need
some way to gauge my need.  The only reference point I have is my cisco
routers, which have between 4 and 8 MB flash images and between 32 and 40
MB of RAM.  Does cisco store its flash IOS image compressed?  How much of
it does it decompress to memory on boot?  What kind of compression do they
use and how large is the IOS image in memory?

I realize that you guys might not know the answers to this stuff off the
tops of you head, but if you can point me in the right direction, I will
be greatly appreciative.  After all, what good is an 8 MB cf card and 64
MB of RAM if you don't fill it up completely?!?!