Okie-dokie, here is my sanity check...

Establish IPsec connection      ...done
Tear down IPsec connection      ...done
Remove rules from config        ...done
save                                    ...done
backup                          ...done
reboot                          ...done
Establish IPsec connection      ...done ...what? ...it failed every other time!
urgh!

All has now been revealed... [sigh]. My misconception in this was based on
the belief that my rules actually were having an effect. This being due to
the fact that I was never able to bring the tunnel up prior to adding the
rules. In all fairness it had been quite a while since I had tried to
establish an ipsec connection through my Bering box and it now seems
entirely likely that their was something else in the path that was blocking
my connection. This something else seems to have been fixed thus I am now
able to make a connection without any trouble and without any extra rules. I
only tunnel in to check my mail and such then I take down the tunnel so in
all likelihood I would never even need Tom's extra rules. On the other hand
if I was attempting to maintain constant connectivity between my workstation
and the far end then I would possibly begin to see trouble because the rules
would not be in place to allow the other end to initiate a key exchange. I
realize that I am repeating things that Tom has already said, I just didn't
understand them before because I was /confused/.

Thanks Tom, your patience through this was much appreciated.

Regards,
Eric