Dan Lanciani suggested using fber optics -thank you
for your efforts. That would be out of my budget,
besides I have a WAP11 at the other end -> would
require a 'fiber to UTP' adaptor -making it further
out of reach.

The 'grounding solution' suggested below seems to have
2 problems, your advise will be valued:
a. Running the cable underground will have no effect
on reducing surge generated by near by lightening.
b. Shielding a UTP cable will reduce the usable length
of the cable to such an extent that my 100m will not
work.
Please correct me.
I was hoping to build a 'home made' surge protector
that I would use at both ends of the cable -something
made of simple zener diods and fast melting fuses (and
eventually small coils). If it is possible to buy it
in the industrielised countries, we should be able to
build it in a third world country.
That was long, thanks for your patience.
Milla

http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html

http://health.yahoo.com