From: Scott R. Haven [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 4:27 PM
Subject: [General Help] RE: multiple routing tables [3:120:121]

http://www.penguinmagazine.com/Message_Board/read.php3?num=3&id=121&thread=1
20

David,

Wow I've never heard of the "ip" command!  Don't know what that does..

Here is how I would add a route:

route add -net 192.168.1.0/24 metric 1 eth0

your default route should point to the internet.

route add -net 0.0.0.0/0 gw 123.123.123.254 metric 1 eth 1

You can view the routing table with

netstat -nr

If you need more help, perhaps you can explain the problem in detail.  IE
which packets are going the wrong way?

-Scott

David wrote:
-------------------------------
I have a box with 3 nics.  One for LAN and two for cable modems.  LAN is
static and others are DHCP clients.  Both DHCP clients (eth0 and eth2)
successfully get addresses.  I want to create a routing table to make sure
that all traffic that came in on eth0 goes out eth0 and not tries to go out
eth2.
I have read several docs for routing, but still can not seem to create even
the first route.  I am trying "ip rule add from aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd table 1" and
even "ip rule add from aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd lookup 1"  What am I doing wrong.  I
can use other ip commands, just can not seem to add the routes.
Thanks,
David