On Saturday 11 May 2002 04:48 am, Enchufa2.com wrote:

> What I would like to do is prevent users from changing the browser proxy
> configuration at their workstations and then bypass the proxy/cache and
> also to prevent unauthorized users to change their e-mail app configuration
> and become able to send/receive external e-mail using external e-mail
> servers.

This can be done, at least in part, by creating a transparent proxy using
squid.  The Squid FAQ has details on this - it requires some ipchains rules
that redirect any connections to port 80 to the Squid port or something like
that.

> Ideally, unathorized users would only be able to use the local mail servers
> and authorized users would be able to use both internal and external
> servers.

You could use fetchmail from a particular internal host in order to download
the external mail for those users that are allowed to have external mail.
Then you could have an internal SMTP and POP3/IMAP mail server handle
everything for the outside.

Alternately, you can limit access such that only certain workstations are
allowed SMTP and POP3/IMAP access to specific mail servers on the outside.