The user adds some addresses and I want to find
out if they're valid before running a complex series of
networking scripts.  Like give him feedback if that address
is already taken.

Is there an    ip   addr
command which will test if an addr is already taken on the network
without doing an  add?

Conversely, he wants to assign a gateway, can
ip find out if that address exists without adding a route?

TIA