I asked:

> I'm using Bering rc2 in a box with two wired NICs and one wireless.
> When the box boots, the wireless network (eth2) fails to come up.
> (And dhcpd and shorewall fail too as a result.)  But when I run
> '/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart' from the console there's no problem.  And
> then dhcpd and shorewall can be started fine too.
>
> [...]
>
> Any idea what might have grabbed eth2 before cardmgr gets fired up?
> I've searched the log files, and there's no prior mention of eth2.
> It's not looking wrong in any file in /etc, either, as far as I can
> see.

Reading through the pppoe.lrp docs I hit on the answer to this
question: because eth2 is brought up by the pcmcia package later in
the boot process it is not supposed to be listed as "auto" in
/etc/network/interfaces.  Once I commented out the line 'auto eth2'
all was well.

--Eric House

* From the desktop of: Eric House, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            *
*    Crosswords 4.0 for PalmOS is out!: <http://www.peak.org/~fixin/xwords>  *