Simply excellent help... thank you sooo much.
I wil go take in the Docs.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Newmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Omar D. Samuels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Jon Clausen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: [leaf-user] No autoexec.bat :-)

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Omar D. Samuels wrote:

> [...]

  echo $PATH

Note that the value of this variable changes depending on what process is
accessing it.  Processes fired off to handle initialization may not have
the same path available from a login. Depending on a PATH for system
functions is considered risky and undependable: risky (in a security
sense) because if someone can change the path, they can replace the
functionality you think you are getting with whatever they want, and
undependable because YOU might be responsible for changes later that
affect the boot process in surprising ways.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html (and
   http://www.tldp.org in general)

or a good book on Linux or Unix system administration.

> The size of a mounted volume?

  df

on a full Linux system the "-H" option makes the numbers more readable for
humans ("1.4M" instead of "1474560¨, for example).

> Also, I did a pretty bad thing... I once copied a file into the /usr/local
> directory, I backed up the folder and ever since I keep getting a corrupt
> message whenever LINUXRC tries to load local.  Any ideas?

Copying files into /usr/local is not something that should result in
corruption, but neither is it commonly used as the location to store
files... certain subdirectories are typically used within /usr/local
instead.  See http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ for more information about what
directories are usually used for what.

Most likely you ran out of disk space during the write, and the local.lrp
is incomplete.  Replace it with a fresh one, and try again... this time
checking ramdisk and floppy space before backing up.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing